April 18, 2016

Black & Chic Front Porch| Mood Board Monday

Happy Monday!

It was a beautiful weekend here in Western Michigan which had me thinking about all things outdoors, that is outdoor decor.  Let's be real, I'm not your "lets go camping and hiking now that the weather is nice" kinda girl. Outdoor rugs, pillows, and potted plants is where it's at for me.

So for today's Mood Board Monday I'm all about our front porch! Follow along and see what I've come up with.



Since this is our first summer in the new house, I'm really looking forward to making the front porch stand out! The front of the house is obviously the first thing people see when they come over so it's important that it makes a statement and feels welcoming.

Currently the front of the house looks like this:





Yes, I took that picture standing in my pajamas this morning...the camera doesn't lie. #keepingitclassy
Also, super depressing to see that bare bones shrub, come on spring and bring it to life!

Here's what I love:

  • The boxy columns
  • The exposed brick
  • The vaulted entry
  • The windows with all that natural light pouring into the house
Here's what we plan to do:
  • Paint the front door
  • Powerwash the concrete
  • Touch up the paint
  • Decorate it all kinds of fancy
As you can see it's not a huge front porch...maybe it shouldn't even be called a front porch. I really wanted to find a way to make it work with stools and chairs but sadly the square footage just isn't there. So, plan B. In my pinteresting I came across this image and knew instantly it was the direction we needed to go:


Isn't it gorgeous?! At first glance I thought those xbase plant boxes were gold and I squealed! Then upon further inspection I noted they were wood, however, it got the spark in me to add my favorite metallic element to the great outdoors.
I also just had to figure out what kind of tree that was next to the door. So, I did what any girl would do and called my Mom. She told me it was a Knock Out Rose Tree in a matter of minutes. Love her.
With a bit more research (this time from google and phoning another friend) I figured out I could get them locally in a few weeks, they are fairly inexpensive, and super hearty (as in they can live for 20+ years). SOLD. This kick started my whole front porch re-do and inspired my mood board for today!


I'm seriously in love. Gold pots, bold black and white rug, blue door...it makes my heart happy. Since the husband relies on these mood boards to be a somewhat accurate reflection of the budget, I pick pieces that are within our price point (usually).  The rose tree pictured is faux but the real thing is around $40/tree. The potted succulents are also a place holder for the board, but the plan is to replace with a real potted plant.  

You'll also notice a mirror on the board. I LOVE mirrors, it's one of my favorite decorating accessories, so why not put it outside? I'm also scoping out some other outdoor wall decor but haven't quite found what I want so I think a good 'ol DIY will be in order.  

The door pinned is from This Old House and its painted "cool jazz" by Behr.  Now, I'm a Sherwin Williams girl at heart but I love this color so much I may have to switch this one time (Shhh don't tell).  

Come on spring! This girl is ready for her front porch re-do!! 
Anyone else have any front porch plans? 

Don't forget to follow on Instagram/Facebook/Twitter/Bloglovin




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...