February 08, 2016

Quick Restyle: New light fixture


Hope everyone had a great weekend! Between work, hockey games, and small updates around the house we were hustling.

My sons room isn't quite ready for its makeover reveal, but I wanted to share a little switcheroo we completed this weekend. I'm a sucker for a small update with a big impact, especially if the budget doesn't allow for a more considerable update.  Changing your home to reflect your personal style can be accomplished without breaking the bank and in fact, some of the greatest results have come from re purposing items. One of the best (and easiest) ways to update a room is to change the light fixture. How many of you have those builder grade boob lights in your house? Or an outdated and out of style ceiling fan that just collects dust? Guilty, here.  I'm on a mission to change those lights that don't a) make me happy and b) don't reflect the vibe and style I'm going for in a room. We've only been here a short while, but it's been primo on our list in some of the rooms already.

 So far we switched out this brasstastic light straight from 1983 with the chandelier that was in the dining room. Best part..it cost us ZERO dollars!

I was on the hunt for an 'above the table' light and found one from wayfair that looked strikingly similar to the one hanging in our dining room. In fact, it may even be the same light!




                                                                            via.

Check one for the Wright's in saving $146 buckaroos.

Of course we will eventually need to replace the dining room light we stole, however, since that room is low on our to-do list we have plenty of time to save up and scope out.

The other room victim to a new ceiling light was our daughter Abby's.  The previous owners of the house had a ceiling fan hanging in her room they really wanted to take with them, and since I already had my eye set on a new chandelier for the space, I happily obliged.  She had this girly chandelier from Pottery Barn in her bedroom from our last house, and I realllllly wanted to bring it here with us, but sadly she stayed behind.  The blank ceiling space needed to be filled so we decided on a fun, whimsical chandelier from IKEA (very popular on Pinterest for revamping).

Her grown up glam room got this little gem from IKEA:



                                                                          via.

The price tag at $60 had me at hello.
Any IKEA product that comes through this door will be subject to a good hack and this MASKROS light was no exception. With just a touch of gold spray point, she got herself all glammed up and ready to shine. Now here she is sitting so pretty:




I'm eager to gold leaf all those little circles you see in the middle of the flower but for now, I'll let her be.


Our latest light restyle over the weekend was in my son's room.  He had this lovely gem hanging before:



Sure, ceiling fans offer air circulation on those hot stuffy days. Aesthetically, however, they are just plain. ugly. I knew the vibe of Drew's room was going to be industrial and rustic, something my little future decorator was requesting.  After much pinning and online shopping I compiled a short list of semi flush mount lights. Our criteria was to (hopefully) be below $100, be smaller in size due to the height of his bed, and have that iron-industrial look. Here are the finalists:



                                                               1/2/3/4


I LOVED all of them but loving all of them wasn't going to get me anywhere. So I showed Drew the final list and he chose #1!

The price was right, I loved the edison bulb, and it made the boy happy. Easy Peasy.



Here's the new atom ceiling light hanging high and proud. Some of you may have seen a sneak peak on Instagram.



And of course, a before and after:


The light is small at only 8" wide, but it is mighty! It is perfect for his room. I can't wait to share the rest of the room reveal after a few finishing touches are complete.

We are hoping to update a few more lights in our hallways shortly and I have my eye set on these beauties from the Young House Love collections at Shades Of Light



What small changes have you been making in your house? 








73 comments:

  1. Nice work saving some money! I really love Wayfair - they have such great items, but they can cost ya! Its great for inspiration, too!
    Karen | GlamKaren.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah, I love them too! but free wins in my book :)

      Delete
  2. Well done on the savings because to be honest the light fixtures look far more luxe than the price suggests and that is what I love! I adore the black light fixture it is so modern and effortlessly cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Ana! He's one cool dude, so he needed a light to reflect that :) thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I am LOVING that industrial ceiling light. Although I would miss having a fan to circulate air flow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks sarah! I despise ceiling fans, except for the air circulation part. My son has terrible allergies, especially to dust, so removing this was a huge benefit to him.

      Delete
  4. ooo that geometric light is calling my name. great upgrades. Gives a whole new flavor to the rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are SO right, a light fixture can have a HUGE impact on a room! Thankfully, my hubs is pretty handy and not intiimdated to change them out, which has saved us lots of money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hooray for handy husbands! I don't know what i'd do if mine wasnt...his honey-do list is a mile long.

      Delete
  6. Lighting can add (or detract) so much to a room. I love your choices. They add tons of visual impact!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always wanting to replace fans with pretty light fixture but I am a sucker for the cool breeze! I have to have it! I love the industrial light that went in Drew's room! That would be really pretty in a farmhouse kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks skye! They were all great choices but the atom one just seemed perfect. I love a good breeze too, but just can't stand the look of them so I guess pretty wins over comfort for me lol.

      Delete
  8. Wow! Your rooms look so great! It is amazing the difference a light fixture can make. It can change the look of the entire room!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those light fixtures! The ikea white fixture is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love what a difference light can make in a room. I'm working on upgrading our lighting so love this inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awesome Emily! Can't wait to see what you pick!

      Delete
  11. I'm a Florida girl. Ceiling fan lights are almost mandatory but I love the updragde in your son's room.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love LOVE that geometric light! It totally changes the feel of the whole space, it makes me wish all of our lights weren't recessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I love recessed lighting too...but it is nice to have a combo of both. thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  13. Beautiful fixtures! I have seen the Maskros in person and I really love it! I wish I had a spot for it - but I don't

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks stacey! I had seen it a million times and thought, well i guess now's the time!

      Delete
  14. There are so many beautiful options! My husband also designs light and furniture
    http://www.siniciliya.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Simple changes like this can make a big difference in the look and feel of a room.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's amazing what difference something as simple as changing a light fixture or a paint color can do to a room. I totally like light #1 the best as well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I want to update our kitchen, dining room and bathroom light fixtures. I love the one you choose for the kitchen and love that table too. Loving your blog posts, keep the great ideas coming!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved all of your lighting choices! Such an easy update too. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Some of these lights are fantastic. It really made a big difference in your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We think so too :) and I love that it was free

      Delete
  20. I've been wanting to change my dining room light. I really like the orb look. I want a rustic feel.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love all your new light fixtures! Isn't it amazing how a few changes can make such a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TaMara! I love the small changes almost as much as the big ones!

      Delete
  22. ohhhh am loving this post as I am in the market for some new lighting. I actually already have this IKEA light in my kitchenette off of my kitchen and LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Laura! Do you have a picture of it on your blog? I love to see other spaces!

      Delete
  23. It's amazing how a simple change of lighting can change the look of a room. These lights are beautifully designed.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I never would have thought a light fixture could make that big of a difference but it did. Thanks for sharing, I'm not walking through my house looking up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is a beautiful fixture! I really do like this style.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Light fixtures are such a great way to give a room a fresh look. I love "drum" shades.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amazing light fixtures. Love the designs and your site is just perfectly beautiful ! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very nice! We don't have much in the way of overhead lighting - our very old house seems to need some new wiring. I think new fixtures would be lovely (and would also brighten up our quite dark spaces!).

    ReplyDelete
  29. A new light fixture can really light up the room. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, this made such a difference! The first restyle was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love the update of the light fixture! It's amazing how much of a difference one small change can make.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the fixtures you chose. It's crazy how something so simple can make such a dramatic difference.

    ReplyDelete
  33. It's amazing how much of a difference a little change can make! I love the light fixtures you chose - they really make the rooms look great!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lighting makes such a huge difference in a room! Love your picks, especially the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lighting really does change a house! My home is the perfect example of this!!!!chandaler in each room then bang! Instantly fabulousness

    ReplyDelete
  36. We are looking for something similar for our kitchen. What a beautiful lamp I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  37. In the back of my head I was playing with the idea of changing something and you just gave me a wonderful idea! New light fixtures in the dining room would totally make a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I really like the look of fancy light fixtures, so from what you've featured in this post – I love the old-style #1. I would love to get an Edison-style lamp in my house. Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I do not have a decorating bone in my body.. love your style!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...